Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Miss Brooks Loves Books! (and I don't)


by: Barbara Bottner Illustrated by Michael Emberley

"I hate reading..." we hear this from early readers who have a difficult time reading or getting in touch with their inner literary side! With a great echo of "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-good, Very Bad Day," "Miss Brooks Loves Books! (and I don't)" reminds us of the hostility many of us had as young children for something that just didn't click with us. For me that was math - it became my "and I don't" part of my own story. This book in particular would be awesome for children who don't click with reading. One child that I have been working with in Iowa City does not like to read, but he loved this book - hmmmm... very interesting. For kids to understand that they are not alone, that others have felt or do feel the same way that they do offers comfort and helps them to comeout of their shell. As Miss Brooks says, "anyone can find something funny and fantastic and appalling in the library." - this book might just be your ticket.

Ages:5-8

0 comments: