Sunday, May 2, 2010

Reflection #1

Getting used to blogging was the biggest challenge for me during the first part of this semester. I was not sure that I could write my opinion as freely as if I was turning in each book reflection for a "grade." I think that I have adjusted really well to being a "blogger," and it has given me a sense of accomplishment to see all that I have written on my own site. It is also really beneficial to be able to read what other people think about the same books I have read. Having our entire class connected makes it easier to share thoughts about different things we are reading and different perspectives that each of us have.

I do not think that I had any idea what "good" books were when I started reading for this class. I love books, but do not get enough time throughout the week to pick one up and read for pleasure. I think that after some of our class discussions, I thought about how I might want my classroom to be set up - for reading to be valued by all of my students and for everyone in my class to want to read. So often, required reading takes over school and students forget how amazing reading can be and how much it can offer.

The selections that we have read so far have really opened my eyes to what I can share with my students. I think that The Misfits was especially eye opening for me because I knew after reading the book, how much I felt like each of the characters at a time in middle school. Sharing these kinds of powerful novels force kids to think about tough topics that can be easily brushed over. I think that choosing books based on what they can offer (instead of purely what "should" be taught by anyone's definition) will give students different perspectives on otherwise taboo subjects. As a future educator, I am grateful that I have had an opportunity that opens my eyes to the rhelm of possibilities that books offer.

0 comments: